Email problems are an everyday worry. Nevertheless, they are usually caused by a misconfiguration of some sort and not by the e-mail service itself.
At Umbler, we have gathered the most usual reasons for problems with the e-mail service for our clients, and classified them under each symptom we face daily :)
First and foremost it is very important to highlight that for the email service to work properly some DNS configurations must be met, so that the messages can find their way on the internet.
Check that the MX & SPF configurations of your domain are correct using a tool like this one, inputting your domain name and searching for the MX and TXT records. The result should be something like this:
If the result is different from the screenshot the problem is probably there, follow this tutorial to learn how to properly configure this important DNS records.
Problems when receiving e-mails in your Umbler email account
My Umbler email account is not receiving email messages from any sender
- Firstly check that the problem is not with the sender, try sending an e-mail message from a Gmail & Hotmail.
- Access your account using the webmail and check if the messages are not in the Inbox folder, or in the SPAM or Deleted items.
- If you are using a mail client (like Outlook or Thunderbird), or you have your account configured in your smartphone; it is possible that some configuration is manipulating the messages once they are received. Try changing your e-mail password and not updating it on the mentioned clients, then try sending and receiving through the webmail interface.
- Check if there are any rules created that could be manipulating the incoming messages, giving the impression that messages are not received. This tutorial explains more about messages redirection & forwarding.
My Umbler email account is not receiving email messages from a specific sender
- Start the verification with these steps: Problems when receiving e-mails in your Umbler email account
- Check that the SPF record of the sender is correct by clicking here. Input the domain name of the sender and click on SPF Record Lookup. A green status should be shown, as below:
Problems with my Umbler email account outgoing messages
Problems sending an email to a specific recipient or any email address
- Access your account using the webmail and try sending the message once again, and try sending it to a different provider, like Gmail or Hotmail.
- Check that the recipient's email account exists, you may use this tool.
- If the account exists and your SPF is correctly configured it is possible that there was a temporary problem, try resending the message.
Problems with SPAM
All the messages I send end up in my recipient's SPAM folder
- Firstly make sure that your DNS configurations are correct, especially your SPF record following these steps.
- If you are sending the messages using a third-party tool, like Sendgrid, please check that your SPF is correctly configured with both Umbler's and the third-party's SPF records by following this tutorial.
- It is possible that the message is being resolved as SPAM because of its content or a malformation of some of its fields. In this case it is recommended use the Mail-Tester tool. Send the exact same message to the provided address and check the result at Mail-Tester, it will give a thorough report with all the details and steps to solve the issue.
All the incoming messages are put in the SPAM folder
- If you are using a mail client (like Outlook or Thunderbird), or have your account configured in your smartphone it is possible that some configuration is manipulating the messages once they are received. Try changing your e-mail password and not updating it on the mentioned clients, then try sending and receiving through the webmail interface.
- Check if there any forwarding or redirecting rules configured in your account following this tutorial.
Incoming messages from a certain domain/sender always end up in my SPAM folder
- This problem is usually result of a sender's misconfigured SPF record. Please check the step: "My Umbler email account is not receiving email messages from a specific sender"